We live in a digital society where our personal data is constantly collected, used, and shared across multiple devices and networks. Data Privacy Day is an international effort held annually on January 28th to create awareness about the importance of privacy and protecting personal information.
Data Privacy Day is a signature awareness campaign within the greater security education effort – STOP. THINK. CONNECT – run by the National Cyber Security Alliance (NCSA), a not-for-profit advisory board, committed to promoting personal safety online all year round.
Initiatives such as Data Privacy Day serve as an important reminder that the personal information of every internet user is at risk from dangerous threats online. This year’s event is focused on the following three main themes:
- Why privacy matters
- Privacy in the growing “Internet of Me”, and
- Fostering a culture of privacy awareness at work.
NCSA invites everyone to get involved with spreading the word about data privacy and protection and offers a selection of helpful and free educational resources to share online, along with the #PrivacyAware hashtag. In addition, NCSA offers a Champion Program designed for businesses and individuals to officially show their support for Data Privacy Day.
If your organization handles sensitive customer data, consider taking the following actions to improve privacy standards this Data Privacy Day:
- Follow reasonable security measures to protect individuals’ personal information from unauthorized access.
- Clearly communicate how personal data is used, managed, and protected within your organization.
- Create a culture of privacy in your organization through educating employees about their role in respecting and protecting the personal data of colleagues and customers.
- Ensure you are running with the most up-to-date operating systems, software, browsers, apps, and programs.
- Review how your organization’s partners and vendors handle your customers’ personal information.
For more information check out https://staysafeonline.org/data-privacy-day/